Sesamoiditis Treatment in Sugar Land
Due to the ground pressure on the ball of the foot, there is a high incidence
of injury to one of the two of these sesamoids. There is movement of the
sesamoids beneath the 1st metatarsal head fracture may occur within either
sesamoid.that occurs during any activity. When a sesamoid is injured from
acute or repetitive stress, a stress fracture may occur within either sesamoid.
Sesamoiditis may be caused from acute or chronic stress placed on the ball
of the foot. In a majority of cases, there is little swelling, redness
or bruising to the skin. Throbbing and pain is usually worse after increased
activity and improved with rest.
Treatment of Sesamoiditis
- Shifting the weight off the painful area using taping and padding
- High heels should be avoided
- Changing activity from weight-bearing activities to swimming may eliminate
some of the tenderness in the foot
- Analgesics medications such as ibuprofen and Tylenol are helpful during healing
- If these conservative methods are ineffective surgical excision of the
fractured sesamoid is sometimes required.